- Uses & Tips
- 568 views
Does your car have leather upholstery? Leather upholstery is pleasant to the touch and quite elegant. It also requires special care which, while not complicated, must be kept in mind in order to keep it in fine condition. Thankfully, there are new products on the market which can help us take care of leather upholstery, even leaving it looking and feeling like new.
If you have been thinking for a while now that it is time to clean it, keep in mind the advice we offer below. You'll see how it absolutely shines the next time you take your car out for a spin! You won't even want to leave your car.
The best procedure for cleaning your car's leather
Leather requires periodic maintenance, and, while it might be even easier to clean than fabric, you will need to carefully follow a series of recommendations in order to keep it pristine.
- Once you have the right leather cleaning product, it's best to first test a bit of it on a small portion of the upholstery to see how it responds, since some upholsteries are in better condition than others. On the other hand, not all leather upholstery is the same, so if you wish to avoid an unwelcome surprise, like small cracks or fading, it is best to proceed with caution.
- Limit your cleaning to small areas. You should not take the product and spray it all over the upholstery and then rub it in deeply. It is much more practical to focus on one small area at a time, leaving it perfect before moving on to the next one. This method not only results in a more thorough cleaning, it leaves your leather upholstery with an unmatched shine. In the end, with just a little patience and care, you will have a stunning finish.
- If you plan to use a brush, do it carefully, using both straight and circular movements in order to better distribute the product over the entire upholstery. While it is true that this type of tool is a great help to you when carrying out a more intensive cleaning, you must be extra gentle in order to avoid damaging the leather. Nowadays, it is not difficult to find brushes of the highest quality. Choose the one that you like the most or that best suits your needs, and be careful not to damage any corners or crannies.
- When you have finished cleaning the leather, apply a good conditioner in order to leave it soft and in perfect condition, but be sure to dry it properly. Make sure you give it at least 15 minutes to penetrate the surface of the leather (depending on the product you choose), to bring out that unique shine that led you to choose leather over fabric in the first place.
- Now, all that is left to do is remove the excess product.
And just like that, your upholstery looks brand new!
A leather upholstery in good condition should be matt (this is what allows us to appreciate its unique shine) and soft to the touch. When you run your hand over it, it should glide, even slip, over the surface. This means the treatment has been successful.
Products for the correct cleaning and maintenance of leather
Nowadays, there are products designed specifically to meet the needs of every type of vehicle. So, of course, the same is true for leather.
We here at MyCarsFirst recommend two top-shelf brand-name products, each one outstanding in its own right: whether you choose the NANOX or the DoctorWax leather cleaner and conditioner, both will leave your leather upholstery looking brand new. Both products benefit from the latest in innovation and the most efficient nanotechnology and are certain to become essential products for you. After all, these are two of our star products.
In addition, we recommend some other tools that will of great help to you, such as:
- Brushes with soft and fine bristles, which make it easier for the product to penetrate the leather.
- Two microfibre cloths, one to remove dirt beforehand and the other to dry surfaces once the product has been applied. Sometimes, it is a good idea to use a third cloth, just in case. Remember, they all must be perfectly clean.
- One pair of disposable gloves.
And that's it! As you can see, maintaining the leather upholstery of your car is very simple and, above all, necessary in order to avoid loss of elasticity or cracking, which not only leaves it looking less attractive, but can also be uncomfortable.
Also, remember that the leather on the steering wheel is especially vulnerable to damage, due to constant contact with our hands. Therefore, periodic maintenance is essential in order for it to age perfectly and provide a most pleasant driving experience.
Maintenance is all about proper care, and that care, in the end, will greatly extend the life of your car. Which means you can get out there and enjoy the open road!